Springtime Special - zucchini pasta recipe
STEPS 6 INGREDIENTS 6 TIME 30-35 MINS
These ingredients are really seasonal finds… so a trip to your local farmers’ market will probably be in order (what a great excuse!).
What’s interesting here is that unlike the typical Italian way of preparing the zucchini flowers - which is to stuff them, coat them in batter and deep-fry them (like the British do their fish or the Scottish their Mars bars) - there’s no deep frying here. The flowers are simply fried up alongside the onion slices, creating creates a molten, almost impossible-to-see kind of ‘sauce’ that's more a light flavoring than a seriously chunky sauce.
This ‘spaghetti primavera’ is a real lunchtime favorite of ours. I hope you enjoy it.
40 zucchini flowers (approx. 400g/14oz)
400g/14oz spaghetti (‘tricolore’ looks great!)
4 fresh spring onions
Extra virgin olive oil
Small glug of white wine
Optional: chili pepper (thinly sliced)
Optional: parmesan/pecorino cheese
STEP 1 - First we prepare the veggies:
- Remove the stalks from the flowers (trash these) and the small green spikey leaves.
- Open each flour and also remove the small central orange heart (see right).
- Tear the open flowers into rough chunks.
- Grab the onions, slice off the stalks and roots.
- Half the remaining bulbs longways and slice longways as thinly as possible.
STEP 2 - Throw the onion slices into a frying pan and add a glug of water (this makes onions more digestible).
- Fry on medium heat until the water evaporates then add 15 tablespoons of olive oil and cover.
- Fry until onion softens nicely (approx. 2-4 minutes.
STEP 3 - With onion soft, keep pan covered and remove from heat.
- Add 1 throw of salt and leave covered for 3 or 4 mins (steaming the onion), until onion becomes see-through.
STEP 4 - Pop pan back on heat, add zucchini flowers, optional chili and half a shot glass of wine. Stir well to coat everything in oil.
- Fry for 8-10 mins until beginning of zucchini stems go completely soft. Take off heat.
STEP 5 - Cook pasta in large pan of boiling salted water as per packet’s timings. Do not drain!
STEP 6 - When pasta is ready, don’t drain but spoon instead into frying pan and mix thoroughly.
To serve: garnish this springtime zucchini pasta with grated parmesan cheese or, even better, pecorino.
Enjoyed this zucchini pasta?
• This Sicilian treat, which features molten zucchini
New! CommentsHave your say about this page! Just add a comment in the box below.