‘The Rocket’ – a recipe for pesto superfans
STEPS 2 INGREDIENTS 6 TIME 10 MINS
Of course this pesto recipe still involves mashing up ingredients and smothering them over mouth-watering pasta... only instead of the usual basil and pine seeds it uses fresh arugula/rocket and crushed walnut, to give a nuttier, warmer, stronger taste I think you’ll love.
As with any recipe for pesto, you have an equipment choice: either employ a hand blender to whiz the ingredients (don't have one? Try this beauty ), or use a pestle and mortar (marble is best - see here).
Okay, let’s make it!
50g/1.8oz arugula (rocket)
Clove of garlic
1 tablespoon (20g/0.7oz) of grated parmesan cheese
Extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt
Optional: nut crackers
STEP 1 - First, we prep!
- Peel the garlic clove, chop off the ends, and slice finely.
- De-stalk then rinse the arugula in warm water. Shake dry.
- Grate the parmesan.
- Smash open the walnuts, using a nut cracker or in the hand, and throw away the shells.
STEP 2 - Pop half the cheese, nuts, arugula/rocket and garlic in the blender or mortar bowl.
- Add a good glug of oil and mix/whix until the mixture forms a rough paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients and repeat. (If now a little dry, add a drop more oil.)
Note: Why do we not grind all the ingredients from the off? I find the full ingredients are often too much for one mortar bowl (unless it’s really huge).
Want to really impress your guests?
If you haven’t already… try this traditional Ligurian basil pesto too!
New! CommentsHave your say about this page! Just add a comment in the box below.