Meat n’ egg carbonara sauce recipe
STEPS 6 INGREDIENTS 3 TIME 20 MINS
This carbonara sauce recipe is a bonafide, real-deal Italian classic.
And… you’ll be pleased to know that it’s super-quick (20 mins) and simple to prepare. Let me show you how...
(Got your own fave pasta sauce recipe? Share it here!)
Ingredients: (For a printable PDF shopping list click here, or right-click this link and choose 'Save target/link as' to save the list for later.)
2 new, fresh eggs (one egg per person serving)
20g/0.7oz parmesan cheese
Extra virgin olive oil
Small bowl (for whisking egg)
Hand whisk (I recommend this)
STEP 1 - Crack the eggs into your bowl, then add one pinch of salt and pepper for each egg. (If using standard American bacon, leave out the salt - the meat is usually plenty salty enough.)
- Use a fork (or whisk) and whisk until fully mixed and smooth.
STEP 2 - Grate the parmesan.
Put a tablespoon aside for serving later, then mix the rest into the bowl of eggy mixture.
STEP 3 - Cover half the base of your frying pan with olive oil. Pop on a medium heat hob.
- When the oil is hot (not spitting or smoking – that’s too hot!), add the bacon. Fry until softened and slightly brown (approx. 5-7 mins).
- Take the pan off the heat.
You now have the main elements of carbonara sauce.
All that’s left is…
1. Boil up and drain roughly 240g/8.5oz of spaghetti (or any other long pasta).
2. Pop the bacon pan back on the heat for a minute and mix in the pasta, coating it thoroughly in the oil.
3. Finally, take the full pan off the heat again, and mix in the eggy sauce. (We use off the heat so we don't 'cook' the egg.)
Serve with the remaining grated parmesan.
Did you enjoy this carbonara?
- Try another eggy favorite of mine, quick breakfast pasta.
- Check out more deliciously simple pasta sauce recipes.
New! CommentsHave your say about this page! Just add a comment in the box below.