Spaghetti with a hole inside

by Jim
(Riverview, FL, USA)

Hi Matt - I need to know the name of the pasta that is like spaghetti but it looks like long straws.. there is a hole actually inside the spaghetti.


Answer: I think what you mean is 'bucatini'.

‘Buco’ means hole in Italian, and bucatini is like a hollow version of spaghetti (kind of like a thin drinking straw).

A slightly wider version of this pasta type also exists (though it's not well known or often found outside Italy), called perciatelli.

Hope that helps,


PS: In case you are looking to buy bucatini, you can find a wide selection on Amazon here.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Pasta Q&A.

Grab your FREE cookbook!

Join me on...

Most Popular

Find your best pasta maker
Different types of pasta
Moreish carbonara sauce