Heidi’s salmon pasta recipe
STEPS 4 INGREDIENTS 9 TIME 25 MINS
When you taste this fish pasta, with its leek and onion crunch, fresh salmon strips, and subtle mix of herbs and spices, it’s hard to believe just how easy it was to prepare… it’s that good.
Of course, I try all reader recipes before they hit this site. I also run them by my mamma-in-law to check they are ‘Italian enough’.
Marisa's response on hearing me describe this salmon pasta recipe? “Buono buono” (very tasty)!
Ingredients: (For a printable PDF shopping list click here, or right-click this link and choose 'Save target/link as' to save the list for later.)
200g/7oz spinach tagliatelle
100g/3.5oz smoked salmon
2 small leeks (roughly 300g/10.5oz)
Half a medium onion
125ml/4.2fl oz single cream
Optional: 5 ‘sprigs’ (small sticks) of fresh thyme
Deep pan (for pasta)
STEP 1 - Preparation takes just 5-10 minutes. Here goes…
- Boil 2 full kettles of water, get this warming in the big pan (on a high heat), and stir in 2 handfuls of salt.
- Cut the salmon into 5cm long, 1cm wide strips.
- Chop off the onion’s ends and peel it. Chop in half and finely chop one half.
- Chop off the green parts of the leeks. Roughly chop into slices, then chop these slices once in half.
- Wash the 5 ‘sprigs’ of thyme and remove/trash the stalks (you just need the leaves).
STEP 2 - Now we’ll make the sauce:
- Cover the base of your frying pan in oil and heat on a medium/high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add: the leek, onion, 1 pinch of pepper, 1 teaspoon of oregano, and the tip of a teaspoon of both curry powder and paprika (more if you really love these).
- Stir regularly until the leeks and onion reduce and appear cooked (see pic). This took me approximately 10 minutes.
Tip: If the base of the pan becomes dry at any point (i.e. the oil has evaporated), add a little water to the mix and keep stirring.
- When ready, take your frying pan off the heat.
STEP 3 - When the water in the big pan is boiling, add the tagliatelle.
- Boil as per its packet’s instructions – being sure to continually stir and untangle the pasta.
- When the pasta is done, drain it in a colander/sieve.
STEP 4 - With the pasta sat in your colander, quickly throw the cream and salmon into the frying pan.
- Simmer this finished sauce for just 1 minute on a high heat.
- Finally add the pasta and mix everything through thoroughly.
Done! To serve: Dish up the pasta and sprinkle the tiny thyme leaves on top for some extra texture.
Next time around… Make this salmon pasta recipe even tastier by using fresh pasta rather than the packet stuff! Learn how with my how to make pasta guide.
New! CommentsHave your say about this page! Just add a comment in the box below.