No-nonsense tomato and mushroom pasta
STEPS 4 INGREDIENTS 6 TIME 45-50 MINS
We whipped up this easy mushroom pasta dish after we bagged some delicious chanterelles (also called golden chanterelles or egg mushrooms) from our local farmer's market.
With their woody, earthy fragrance these mushrooms make for a delicious spaghetti or short pasta meal when mixed through fresh soft-fried cherry toms. Best of all, this dish is genuinely easy - all you need do is just chop everything and then fry the ingredients in simple steps.
Are chanterelle mushrooms good for you?
The answer is yes, very much so. According to their Wikipedia page, they are "relatively high in vitamin C, very high in potassium, and among the richest sources of vitamin D known, with ergocalciferol (vitamin D2)". See here to learn more or check out this excellent chanterelle info and recipe page.
So, hit your farmer's market or tasty organic store and I'll see you back here in a few minutes to make spaghetti con i gallinacci (spaghetti with chanterelle mushrooms).
Back already? Then let's get started...
200g/7oz spaghetti (short shapes like penne also work)
150g/5oz fresh chanterelle mushrooms
200g/7oz fresh cherry (tiny) tomatoes
8 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 medium onion (ideally red)
Handful of fresh parsley leaves (ideally flat)
1/2 glass of dry white wine
STEP 1 - First our preparation (mainly chopping):
- Slice the onion very thinly.
- Rinse then quarter the cherry toms.
- Rinse and roughly slice the mushrooms.
- Rinse and finely chop the parsley leaves.
STEP 2 - Drop the olive oil into a large frying pan and heat through on a medium heat hob.
- Fry the onion until it softens (6-8 minutes).
- Drop in the mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes. You can also add the optional wine now too.
- Finally, drop in the toms and 1/3 teaspoon of salt, then cover the pan and cook on medium/low heat for 20-30 minutes.
Note: if the sauce dries up at any point, just add half a cup of hot water, mix through and recover.
STEP 3 - Now the sauce's flavors have all intermingled nicely, take the pan off the heat.
- Now cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling well-salted water, as per its packet's timings. Drain.
- Pop the sauce back on a low heat then drop in and mix through the pasta.
- Stir through the parsely too and add possibly a dash of black (or even chili) pepper.
Enjoyed this mushroom pasta recipe? Then try...
New! CommentsHave your say about this page! Just add a comment in the box below.