Hearty 20-minute lentil pasta
STEPS 4 INGREDIENTS 7 TIME 20 MINS
Hot, hearty and packed with cholesterol-lowering fibre, this soupy broth is perfect for those evenings when you just can’t be bothered making an effort with dinner.
Did I mention it takes a maximum of just 20 minutes? And it dirties just 1 cooking pan?
Quick pointer: just make sure you have some tasty crusty bread to go with this lentil pasta, cos it's one juicy beast…
Ingredients: (For a printable PDF shopping list click here, or right-click this link and choose 'Save target/link as' to save the list for later.)
1 clove of garlic
400g/14oz tin brown lentils
5 stalks of fresh parsley
Extra virgin olive oil
One deep cooking pan/skillet (ideally non-stick)
STEP 1 - Quick preparation first:
- Wash and de-stalk the parsley, then tear up the leaves.
- Peel the garlic clove, chop off its ends, and cut into quarters.
- Boil a kettle (for future pan top-up!)
STEP 2 - Cover the base of your pan in olive oil and heat on a medium/high hob.
- When the oil’s hot (not smoking!), turn down to medium, add the garlic and fry for 2-3 mins until it begins to brown.
Choice! If you don’t want to fish it out of your dish later, scoop out and trash the garlic now. Otherwise, leave in for a stronger flavor.
STEP 3 - Now the garlic is browning, throw in the can of lentils, then a second can’s worth of hot water from the kettle.
- Also add a half-teaspoon of salt, half the parsley leaves, and as much pepper as you like (if in doubt, a quick pinch).
- Stir regularly until the water is boiling.
STEP 4 - If it’s boiling, throw in your pasta and cook as per its packet’s instructions (probably 10 minutes).
- Stir continuously yet gently, as lentils can stick to the pan but they are a bit fragile.
Important: If most of the water evaporates before the pasta is cooked (taste it to test), add half a cup more boiling water from the kettle – better too liquidy than too dry and sticky.
- When the pasta is cooked, add to bowls and serve by add the remaining parsley on top.
Eat with: Big chunky handfuls of your favorite crusty bread.
Did you enjoy this lentil pasta soup?
Then you’ll probably also like…
• Pasta e piselli (pasta with peas) – Packed with sweet green peas, bacon and onion.
• Pasta fagioli – when they coined the phrase ‘full of beans’, they must have been talking about this winter winner!
New! CommentsHave your say about this page! Just add a comment in the box below.