Breezy summer ham and pasta recipe
STEPS 4 INGREDIENTS 8 TIME 45 MINS
It’s really a flavorsome little beauty too… effectively a quicker, more streamlined version of this ‘pasta piselli’, it combines sweet small peas with fresh, thick-cut ham (rather than piselli’s bacon bits) to create a scrummy winner that’ll have you craving more.
Use it for a filling weekend lunch or as the first course of dinner instead (followed by cooked meat and salad - real Italian style!).
Enough jabbering from me then, it’s ham and pasta time…
Ingredients: (For a printable PDF shopping list click here, or right-click this link and choose 'Save target/link as' to save it for later.)
240g/8.5oz tagliatelle (or make it fresh!)
400g/14oz tin of petit pois (small peas)
250ml/8.5 fl oz milk
Thick 100g/3.5oz slice of pork ham
1 small onion
35g/1.2oz soft butter
25g/0.8oz parmesan cheese
Extra virgin olive oil
STEP 1 - First some quick preparation.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Grate the parmesan.
- Use a sieve to drain the peas.
- Chop the ham into thin, short (1-2-inch) strips.
- Peel the onion and cut it in half.
- Cover the base of the pan with olive oil and pop on a medium heat hob.
STEP 2 - When the oil is hot, drop in the onion and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Then remove the onion (it was just to flavour the oil), add the peas, and cover with the milk.
- Add half the ham, a dash of salt and pepper, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for approx. 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until the majority of the milk has evaporated and the remaining milk is quite thick).
STEP 3 - During the last 10 mins of the milk’s simmering, boil up the second pan full of water (with a handful of salt), and cook the tagliatelle as per its packet’s instructions.
- When ready, drain and add to mixing bowl with the butter and parmesan.
- Stir through thoroughly.
STEP 4 - To finish, simply place the tagliatelle into your pasta bowls and add the pea/ham mixture on top of each.
- Garnish this with the remaining uncooked strips of ham.
Enjoyed this ham and pasta?
Try these other recommended dishes…
New! CommentsHave your say about this page! Just add a comment in the box below.